Awesome image of a dreamweaver available as an official screenshot
Too bad copyright probably prevents us from simply cropping and using it here. — Stabber 15:37, 20 April 2006 (CDT)
- I laugh at copyright laws! Ha ha! Actually, on their site, they say that a fansite (us) can use any of their imagery freely. :) --Karlos 21:33, 20 April 2006 (CDT)
- Where does it say that? — Stabber 01:05, 21 April 2006 (CDT)
- If you read here on the program they list this point:
- Present a sufficient amount of original content, not merely a compilation (mirror) of ArenaNet-produced materials
- I think this clearly states that reposting their content is fine with them. In terms of wiki rules, it's fine as long as it's known that they are the source of the images, which your notes on the talk pages establishes clearly. --Karlos 01:23, 21 April 2006 (CDT)
- It's pretty shaky reasoning, IMO. We are not only taking the screenshots, but cropping and repurposing them, and the source is not as clear as you would think because most readers will not be aware of the talk page. Their statement above might have been talking about posting the whole image unedited. However, I don't see Anet bothering us with legal threats even if it were a copyvio, so we might be de facto in the clear. — Stabber 01:31, 21 April 2006 (CDT)
- I searched deeper on their site.. I found this:
- Can I use the art from your official site on my fansite?
- We have a Fansite Kit for your use, but the use of anything outside of items offered in the kit requires approval by ArenaNet. For instance, our navigation bar, borders, customized game images, or section headings are intended for use exclusively on the official Guild Wars site. If you have questions, please contact us.
- You are correct, I will revert and delete. --Karlos 05:39, 21 April 2006 (CDT)