The Tapestry Shred is a Pre-searing token of Gwen's appreciation given to the player after winning her admiration. Gwen will accept Red Iris Flowers, a new Flute, and a Small Girl's Cape after you have retrieved her Broken Flute. It has no inherent value in the Prophecies campaign.
The cheapest way to earn a shred is to retrieve Gwen's Broken Flute, buy her a replacement, and give her three Red Iris Flowers. Gwen will give you a shred as long as the last item you give her is an Iris. (However, see the bug note below.)
The shred is one of the items that can be used to obtain two quests in Eye of the North:
To obtain either quest, complete the Primary Vanguard Quests, then visit Gwen in the Hall of Monuments. The shred will be removed from the inventory when you accept either quest (unless you use one of the other qualifying items; see the quest articles for details).
- Upon entering the Hall of Monuments as a Prophecies character with a shred in inventory
- You say you are from the South? You look strangely familiar.
- We met long ago. I have something of yours.
- So many feelings. So many memories. I...no. The Ebon Vanguard needs us. We'll talk again after that matter is settled.
- After completing The Missing Vanguard
- Each character can only earn a single Tapestry Shred. However, you can trade with other players or deposit the shred in storage.
- Related items include the Broken Flute, Gwen's Broken Flute, the spirit of Gwen's mother Sarah, the Tattered Girl's Cape, and in the Guild Wars Nightfall campaign, the Preserved Red Iris Flower.
- If you take a non-Tyrian-born character into the Hall of Monuments with the Tapestry Shred in their inventory, the dialogue will still appear. However, when you speak to Gwen, she will offer the Fire and Pain quest instead.